As a born Texan, I HEART MEXICAN FOOD. It is the one type of food that I could eat everyday and literally never get tired of. So...most of you know that I live in New Mexico. You're thinking...hmm...great Mexican food, right? Not so much. There are only a couple of good Mexican food places here. The best one just closed down. I have, however, learned to LOVE the green chili on just about anything, but still, New Mexican food doesn't compare to this palette that craves Tex-Mex. YUM. Just thinking about it makes me salivate.
So many of my memories growing up involve some sort of Tex-Mex restaurant. I think it all started with Casa Ole. I know what you're thinking, but really, Casa Ole used to be soooo good. Then came Pappasito's. Then Ninfa's in Waco. Then a couple of little hole-in-the-wall places by my parent's house called Iguana Joe's and Las Palomas. Oh...I'm craving it already. To me, what defines good Mexican food, or Tex-Mex if you will, is not the quality of food. No, my friend. It is the chips and salsa. If a restaurant has good chips and salsa, it is a winner in my book.
So, the other night, I was CRAVING green sauce. Another Tex-Mex original. I could drink the stuff it is so good. This is not green sauce as in green chili sauce that New Mexican cuisine uses. No, this is "chips and salsa and green sauce". Heaven in a little green bowl. Y.U.M.M.Y. We have started this "tradition" of having chicken fajita nachos on Sunday nights. It is a winner all the way around because Josh and both of my kids really like them. I buy the pre-cooked fajita chicken at Sam's, cube it up, add refried beans (vegetarian kind - no lard - thank you Rachael Ray!), and cheese. Warm it up in the oven for about 10 minutes and it's ready to go! Sorry for the side note. Anyway, they remind me so much of the nachos that I ALWAYS ordered at Casa Ole growing up. So, naturally, I start to crave green sauce. Oh my word, I cannot get the craving out of my head. I then start to diligently search for a recipe on the Internet that will somewhat compare to the coveted sauce I so love. I found one! YEA! I run by the store and pick up all the ingredients before I pick Jace up at school. I made it all in my blender and enjoyed it for a snack, for dinner, and for lunch today. I must say, I am satisfied! A little bit of Texas in my day. Here is the recipe that I found for those who are interested:
4 Avocados
1 (16 oz.) container Sour Cream
1 can Rotel tomatoes
1 Tbsp. Garlic Powder
1 (4 oz.) can Green Chili Peppers
2 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Lemon juice
3 oz. Cream Cheese
Blend all together in a blender until smooth. I also added a few sprigs of cilantro. And, because I live in NM, canned green chilis are off limits. Fresh roasted chilis are the only way to go! :)
It makes a ton so I froze some of it. I guess it will be okay, we'll see. I also came across a really good blog with some great recipes. It's called The Homesick Texan. I enjoyed reading her stories and recipes of some down-home "comfort food". Check it out.
So...anyone know how to make Chick-fil-A????
14 years ago
5 comments:
Yummy! Sounds delish, even from this native New Mexican who sometimes refers to tex-mex as 'not real Mexican food.' I do, however, crave a good tex-mex meal every now and then! I want to make the sauce right now!!
I totally understand your Tex-Mex cravings but when you figure out Chick-fil-a PLEASE let me know!!
I will have to try it this weekend! Yum yum! Too bad I can't get some of those roasted green chilies. I would do just about anything right now for a steak combo with green chili from Burrito Express.
I recently ate lunch with Kay Jones at a place down south not even sure of the name but they had a green sauce for chips. It was very good. I haven't thought about Tex Mex in a long time, but there was a day when I longed from El Chico's!!!!
Oh, Karen, do tell!!! I would LOVE to find a good green sauce place!!!!!
And Alicia...I won't tell you that we had that exact meal the other night. I'll just keep that info to myself! :)
Post a Comment