Ok, I know it's a corny title. But I couldn't think of anything else! Jace was a little trooper this morning. We woke him up at 6, got dressed, and were out the door by 6:15. They called us back at 7:00 and the only hiccup of the day was getting him into the hospital gown. We know he was acting out because he was scared, but good grief. For a few minutes he was NOT our child! After about 5 minutes of Daddy holding him down and me forcing his clothes off, we got the gown on. Then, the nurses pop their heads through the curtain and tell us that we can leave his clothes on him if he wants. **SIGH** So, of course he wants. That would have been helpful information to know about 10 minutes beforehand. After we got his cool glow-in-the-dark t-shirt that Nana and Papaw sent him from NASA back on, we were in business. He was back to being himself. A really cool thing about the morning is that the nurse that was in charge of him was one of my nurses when I delivered Jace. So, literally, she has known him since day 1! She is super nice and we really like her. It was God's way of telling us that everything was going to be just fine! It was also comforting to know who he would be with in the OR. So, the nurse, Kristi, held Jace and took him back after we said goodbye. Josh and I went to the waiting room and visited with Mimi (Josh's mom) who took off work for the morning to be with us. Thank you Mimi! After about 30 minutes, the doctor came out and said he was done! Everything went great and he was waking up. We were able to go back and be with him as he was coming to. He was still hooked up to the IV and complained about his arm hurting. Then he started to complain that he couldn't see and that his eye was burning. That is completely normal. The nurses came in and took his IV out and unhooked the blood pressure machine. We then signed some papers and we were on our way home! We were home by 8:45! Morgan and Granny were just getting going for the day. (Granny stayed over last night so we wouldn't have to disturb Morgan...thank you Granny!) Jace slept most of the morning and woke up not too long ago. He ate a Pop-Tart, drank some juice, had 2 Sonic slushs (courtesy of Mimi & Uncle Jer!) and he is good to go! His eye is just a little blodshot in the inside corner. He really looks great and you would never know he had surgery this morning! At one point he was crying and I asked him what was wrong...he replied, "I am upset that my eye isn't blue anymore." I proceeded to explain to him that his eyes would always be blue, but he said, "But Daddy told me that it turned red!!!" In his little 4-year-old mind, his eye was going to be actually RED from now on, not blue. ;)
Thank you to all who prayed and thought about us this morning. Even though it was a "minor procedure" (doctor terms), nothing is minor when the words "surgery" and "your child" are used in the same sentence! Another really cool thing: One of Jace's "crafts" that he brought home from church this week had this verse on it: "I have heard your prayer and seen your tears; I will heal you." 2 Kings 20:5 How appropriate! The Lord really cares about the details in our lives. We are glad the day is over and now we can concentrate on getting those eyes completely healed!
14 years ago
1 comment:
SO glad he is doing well. Surgery is so so scary. We had a terrible time in the hospital with Alex last year, so I always have a soft place when I hear about mommies having to go through any kind of medical issues. I am thankful that God kept His arms around Jace the entire time!
Post a Comment