Our family is about to embark on at least a 13-year journey tomorrow.
JACE STARTS LITTLE LEAGUE!!!!! YAY!!!!!!!
To say that we are so excited would be an understatement. We are a baseball-lovin' family to say the least! Ahhh...baseball...
We go WAY back with baseball. My dad was one of 6 brothers and they all played baseball growing up. My dad and his brother pitched at Rice in the 70s. My cousin pitched at LSU when they won the World Series several years ago. I grew up loving my Houston Astros, and if I have anything to do with it, so will Jace! I have great memories of my parents taking me to the the Astrodome to watch Nolan Ryan pitch. Josh and his brother are Little League veterans, both of whom were on teams that advanced to the regionals in San Bernadino, CA in the 90s. Josh was an all-star quarterback in high school, but his first love was always baseball. They grew up going to major league ballparks on family vacations. That's dedication if you ask me!
While we were at Baylor I don't think we ever missed a home baseball game. We were there in the days of Kip Wells, Jon Topolski, Jason Jennings, Jace Brewer, and Kelly Shoppach. And, in case you were wondering, that's where our Jace got his name! We have such great memories of taking study breaks on a warm spring day, getting Sonic drinks, and heading out to the ballpark. In those days our stadium was being built, so you just sat on the concrete and brought beach towels. It was awesome! There was no better day than sitting out at the ballpark, the Brazos River in the background, and watching the Bears play ball. We followed the baseball team through the super-regionals in 2000, 2003, and World Series in 2005.
Needless to say, our baseball roots run deep! Baseball is just about as All-American as apple pie and hot dogs. So, you can imagine our excitement on June 8, 2004 when we found out our little bundle of joy was going to be a boy! How do you think I decorated the nursery? BASEBALL!!! Baseball everything. As I was decorating that nursery I dreamed of the day that he would start Little League. Josh dreamed of pitching fastballs to his boy. Of teaching him how throw to make the game saving double-play. To hit homeruns out of the park, mainly to get that free snow cone! And tomorrow, that day will arrive. All the practice, planning, running, jumping, batting, etc., etc., etc. will come to fruition. Jace will play on the same field that Josh played on over 20 years ago for his first game.
It has been such a hoot to watch our little team practice. Josh is co-coaching the team with his friend Rocky, whom he played little league with. The kids are so adorable. Some kids kind of know what they are doing, others have not a clue. But, that's what t-ball is all about...to learn the game. I am co-team mom with my friend Kara and we are having a blast getting ready for these kiddos. The guys did have to draw the line at metallic curly-q ribbons on the personalized water bottles. They nixed that idea fast! But what fun we are having, even if the water bottles are just plain!!! (I can't imagine that water would still taste the same WITHOUT a pretty curly ribbon!!!!)
So...it's one, two, three strikes WE'RE IN at the OLD BALLGAME!!!!!!!!
PLAY BALL!!! GO BLUE JAYS!!!!!!
14 years ago
1 comment:
At least Morgan can wear a matching curly-Q ribbon in her hair! Have a super-fun season; or should I say seasons?!
Post a Comment